Tuesday, March 9, 2010

iPod + broadcast = podcast


While the word "podcast" may seem extremely fun and exciting, I have found them to be annoying and simply (so far), a waste of time. Nearly every podcast I've listened to just seem to be bored people who sit in front of their computer and talk into a microphone about anything they so choose. Well, good for them. I have three projects, a midterm, and a 40 page paper to write, thank you. Any podcasts on that?


According to the Podcasting Tools website, a podcast is, "online audio content that is delivered via an RSS feed. Many people liken podcasting to radio on demand. However, in reality, podcasting gives far more options in terms of content and programming than radio does. In addition, with Podcasting, listeners can determine the time and the place, meaning they decide what programming they want to receive and when they want to listen to it." The site goes on to say that podcasts can be used primarily for five reasons:

1. Self-Guided Walking Tours - Informational content.
2. Music - Band promotional clips and interviews.
3. Talk Shows - Industry or organizational news, investor news, sportscasts, news coverage and commentaries.
4. Training - Instructional informational materials.
5. Story - Story telling for children or the visually-impaired.


While I can see using these (possibly) for personal use for entertainment, I think I would have to search far and wide to find podcasts that could relate and be appropriate for my Secondary English classroom. It would be interesting, however, to have a someone with a British accent read a British poem or listen to an author talk about why he/she wrote something a particular way. On top of everything else in a school day, looking up podcasts might not be high up on my priority list. Oh well.



An example of a podcast on blog:

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, I agree. i do not think I have much personal use for podcasting but I agree that I could use it professionally one day. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,
    You're on a roll with these cute cartoon graphics! I definitely agree with the time issue you have with podcasts. I don't need another thing to get hooked on. Though, if I had more free time, I'd be willing to give it a try for the music or book reading.

    ReplyDelete