Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Social Butterflies


Social networks. Are they sources for information or sources for entertainment? I must admit, I am a member of several social networking sites (Facebook and MySpace, to name a few), and it never ceases to amaze me what people will use social networks for. Personally, I use mine to interact with friends and classmates and to keep up and communicate with my brother in Iraq.

But what's the point of these sites? Take Facebook, for example. You can do everything on Facebook from uploading pictures to buying a dog to harvesting a blue cow. Is all of that necessary? How social do we really need to be on a social networking site? Honestly, if I see one more album about a woman giving birth, I just might delete my account... or at least pretend to.

Obviously, social networking sites have their positives and negatives, but they also have their risks and dangers. Take for instance the 13 year old girl who goes across the country to meet "the love of her life" she met on MySpace, only to find out he's a 48 year old lonely father of 4 with a thing for the illegal. Really? Social networking has given people a false sense of trust. Just because their profile says one thing, doesn't mean it has to be the truth.

As a 23 year old, I've been on social networks since middle school. I love the ability to sign on, find out within 5 minutes what my friends are up to, what events might be happening in town, and who I need to tell Happy Birthday to. It's the easiest way to feel like I actually have friendships with all 1,184 friends in my Facebook account, when honestly, I probably would have to seriously think how I actually even know two-thirds of them.

Personally, I think with a responsible, positive approach to social networking, it can be a fun, rewarding experience. It's turning everyone into social butterflies!

5 comments:

  1. Kelly, first of all your title is amazing! I love it! Your post made me think back to all the things that we do on social networking sites as well as all the different good/bad events that happen in today's society because of them.

    Great job!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,

    I absolutely love your blog title! How creative! I also like how you pointed out some of social media's dangers, as well as benefits. I think so many people get caught up in the new fad, that they sometimes lose track of precautions they need to take. Thanks for a great outlook! Keep it up!

    xoxo, Nikki May

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly,

    Great blog! I love how you say we are social butterflies...that makes me happy! I believe it when you say it is a source for entertainment, I mean, what would we do in between classes without Facebook?!?

    Your blog is wonderful and I appreciate the wise words. Keep up the great work!

    -Hollon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly,
    First, I would like to say that I wish to harvest a blue cow in the future. Can you show me how?

    Second, I, too, have definitely thought about the dangers of social networks...personally, I don't really have to worry about being seduced by my dream guy who looks like a model in his picture, only to find out later that he is my grandfather's age and a convicted sex offender. I'm not that young and naive anymore, and I'm married. But, I do have to worry about prospective employees and what kind of impression I might make on them! The thought of them seeing me in a pirate costume from Halloween a couple years ago is pretty terrifying in itself.

    Keep up the good, honest blogging!

    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, where do you find the fantastic cartoons? I love them! I do think that, in a sense, they have made us more social. On the other hand, people may not be willing to be as social in person as they are online. I also agree with your statement that they can be really useful if used in a positive manner, but we must stay ever-vigilant for the creepers who pose as other people. Personally, I am a huge fan of Facebook, it's how I met Meagan, after all.

    ReplyDelete